ICL Registration & Enrollment

ICL Registration & Enrollment 

Enrollment Agreement

ICL staff have high expectations for students, and students enrolling for the 2019-2020 school year must complete an enrollment agreement as a condition for enrollment.  This contract will be mailed home as part of the Welcome Letter students receive upon enrollment.

ICL Enrollment Agreement 2018-2019

Registration Information

Students currently enrolled in the New Haven Unified School District (NHUSD).

Registration Process for 8th Graders:

Students will begin pre-registration for the 9th grade at their current middle school in March. In early March, Logan counselors come to both Itliong-Vera Cruz and Cesar Chavez Middle Schools to present information about Logan and distribute registration forms. Students who would like to enroll in ICL, follow the three simple steps below!

ICL Example Enrollment.png

All pre-registration forms are picked up from the middle schools at the end of March to be processed at Logan. You will get a confirmation of enrollment auto-dialer and/or email in May, followed by a Welcome Letter in August. 

What if I'm waiting to hear if I got into Puente?

Puente applications are due in late January, and you will be contacted by early February to notify you whether or not you've made it to the next round--an interview.  If you don't make it to the interview round, you have plenty of time to change your pre-registration form. Interviews start mid-February and you will receive a your letter of acceptance (or denial) by the first week of April.

Many students and parents have questions about the differences between ICL and Puente. Please see the attached document which explains some key differences between the two programs.

Comparison Chart: ICL v. Puente
Tabla Comparativa: ICL v. Puente

What if I miss pre-registration and decide to enroll in ICL after I've already submitted my pre-registration form?

If you change your mind and would like to enroll in ICL AFTER you've submitted a pre-registration form, please contact the principal for ICL, Alicia Elbert, at aelbert@nhusd.k12.ca.us, or by calling (510) 476-2711.

Transferring into ICL 

If the program has space, students who have already started traditional Logan courses may still transfer into ICL, but only in 9th or 10th grade. ICL does not allow for students to add ICL in the 11th or 12th grade. Enrollment is done on a first-come, first-served basis.  If you are currently a student at Logan, and you would like to transfer into ICL, please email Mrs. Elbert directly at aelbert@nhusd.k12.ca.us or speak with your counselor.

Any transfers or schedule changes must be completed the first twelve school days of the semester.

Private School Students who live in New Haven Unified School District Boundaries

ICL is a first-come, first-served program.

  1. Set up an enrollment appointment with NHUSD’s Centralized Enrollment Center. More information on enrollment in NHUSD is available here.  The Enrollment Center can be reached by phone at (510) 476-2625.

  2. You cannot enroll in New Haven Unified or register for ICL until you have completed all the necessary paperwork with Centralized Enrollment-- but we may still be able to save you a space!

  3. Please contact Alicia Elbert, House 3 Principal: aelbert@nhusd.k12.ca.us or (510) 476-2711. Let her know you’ll be enrolling in the summer, and would like ICL to save a space for you. 

  4. When you enroll your student in New Haven Unified at our centralized enrollment center, please let them know that you are enrolling directly into ICL. They have access to the list of private school and inter-district agreement students who are approved by Alicia Elbert to enroll directly into ICL. If you are on that list, they will enroll you directly into ICL at your appointment.

Private School Students who Live Out of District

If your student has a solid attendance, behavioral and academic history, New Haven Unified Board Policy states that you are eligible to be accepted into our district on an Inter-District Agreement (IDA). You will need to begin the Inter-District Transfer process with the enrollment offices of your home school district. Please start at your home school district’s main offices to request the proper forms and procedures for being “released” from your home district.  Some school districts will not “release” you to a new school district unless you can prove to them that the new district has a program you do not offer. For that reason, please bring a copy of our ICL Brochure to your appointment with your home school district. It is not likely that your home district can offer you a college preparatory program equivalent to that of ICL.

Once your home district releases you, follow the same steps for enrolling into New Haven Unified as the private school students living within NHUSD's boundaries follow (see above). You must be enrolled in NHUSD before you can register for ICL. Please also contact Alicia Elbert, ICL’s administrator, to let her know that you are working on your IDA.  As long as program space is available, you can be put on the pre-approved list for enrollment directly into ICL when you meet with NHUSD’s Centralized Enrollment Center.